Thursday, February 4, 2010

The week's are FLYING By....

Well now let me flash forward to where I am at right now...I am in week 8 of my 12 week training! To take a look back, this is what I have done so far to prepare...I started off by buying a new pair of running shoes! I went to a local store, McCoy's, and got fitted for a new pair of shoes, the people there were SOOOO helpful and they put me in the right shoes for my feet....a pair of Acis. The only problem was...I BEGGED, no pleaded for a IPod Touch for Christmas so that I could get the Nike+Sports kit to help me with my running...in order to use the kit, you were supposed to have Nike Shoes...but to my surprise someone has invented a little pouch to put on the outside of your shoe laces so that you can still wear the sensor that goes with the kit! I also download the C25k (couch to 5K) app for my ipod touch. The first few weeks of training (the 1st of December 2009) I started my running using that app. Although its a 8 week training program, I was able to complete it in about 4 weeks! It basically gets you to a point where you are able to run for 30-45 mins without stopping! I would say that app is a GREAT starting point for ANYONE interested in beginning to run...its very basic and VERY effective! The last week of December I decided I was ready to start the half marathon training program..well at least I thought I was! The 1st 2 weeks were brutal....I pretty much had my mind made up that I was going to give-up and stop after week 2....but I had already paid for my Disney Princess Half Marathon Registration ($150) and promised my kids a trip to Disney, so I told myself...I had to push through it! It was not until week 4 that I realized that if I was going to do this....MY MIND HAD TO BE STRONGER THAN MY BODY!!!! I took 4 days off of running and decided to make up some rules for myself...



  • Rule 1- My MIND must be stronger than my BODY

  • Rule 2- Don't Cheat on MYSELF

  • Rule 3- Stay Focused and keep my eyes open

  • Rule 4- Stay Positive...not everyday can be an "A" day

  • Rule 5- Don't get discouraged

After my break and some retail therpy, I decided to go into week 5 with a new attitude and better appreciation for my accomplishments....6 months ago I could not even run to my mailbox...ha! So now I am at week 8 feeling better than I have felt in 10 years! I can run for 7 miles without stopping and keeping a pace of about 9 mins. a mile! Each week I am improving my speed and my distance. This saturday will be my 1st 5K race in 6 years...I'm a little nervous, but very excited to get that "running race" feel again! From here on out, I will post updates of my running progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment