Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hurt....awwwww.....

Well about a week before the princess race, while training, I thought I may have sprang my ankle....I was on the treadmill running and all the sudden I felt a pop in my right ankle. I tried to not pay much attention to it because it happened just a week before my event and I had been training so hard! I ran the race and it hurt majority of the race....then following Saturday, I ran the McGuires race and it was throbbing almost to the point I could no longer put pressure on it! I made an appointment with a podiatrist, on that specialized in sports medicine...I went on Tuesday and found out that I had torn ALL the tendons in my right ankle!! Not a good thing for a beginning runner! I have had injuries before (I have broken both my feet from stress fractures) so I know what its like to be stuck recovering from an injury! The Dr. was really good and put me in a brace for 2 weeks and had my feet scanned for orthotics! The dr. said I needed to take it easy on running for the next 6 weeks or so...mostly hard pavement pounding....yeah right....So for the next few weeks I am going to really try and not run too much outside and really focus on my cross training, building more muscle strength and healing my ankle! I realized after my last few races that I really lack in these areas and if I want to improve my times I need to really build my muscles!! I hate cross training...it makes me feel sooooo weak and worn down! I love to spin, but I would rather run 10 miles than do cross training! But I will say I have made a new friend, Amanda in my cross training progress and she helps me stay motivated in going to the gym and attending the dreaded classes! I will keep you updated on my healing progress and how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment